Romulans

Story: Balance of Terror
Written By: Paul Schneider
Series: Star Trek: The Original Series
Year: 1966

"Balance of Terror" is the first honest to goodness truly fantastic episode of Star Trek. The episode has a fantastic plot, good characterizations, a wonderfully menacing villain, and dialogue that never gets to clunky. I really enjoy this episode, have so since I was a kid. The way the whole thing unravels is nothing short of successful.
This used to be on the 25th Anniversary Top 10 Episodes tape we had recorded off TV, the station that was airing both the original and the Next Generation showed the special and this Top 10 Marathon. ANYHOW: This episode is one of the original 10 I watched since I was little, so it holds a little place in my heart. Beyond that though, it only gets better as I get older.

It also serves as the introduction to Romulans, who only appear one more time in this series, but go on to play a far bigger role in the Next Generation and Deep Space Nine.

NEXT TIME: Nurse Chapel