The Artifact

Story: The Impossible Box
Written By: Nick Zayas
Series: Star Trek: Picard
Year: 2020 

I really wish they had chosen another plot device to bring Picard out of retirement.  Not only do I find the Data daughter storyline to be kind of dumb, but it is also boring as hell. Every time they would cut back to that Borg Cube, it sucked all the energy out of the room.  Boring plodding nonsense.  Naren is a hunk of wood. His sister is creepy and not in any fun way.  And then there is Soji who has very little character to latch onto, and feels more liek a MacGuffin more than anything else.
I had hope though. I hoped that when Picard finally got there, and the storylines converged...that life could be injected into this dull thread.  But it didn't really. I still don't care about Naren or his sister that is so uninteresting that I honestly couldn't tell you if she has a name...and I don't care about Soji, a character that is the crux of the whole plot and I am struggling to care about her at all.

And when you have Picard on a Borg Cube, struggling with that experience, and then his reunion with Hugh and seeing Picard impressed by Hugh's work in de-Borgifying former members of the Collective....it honestly just left me wishing that THIS was his big cause.  Borg's trying to leave the collective but still finding it hard to reacclamate to Federation society. That, along with Romulan refugees also finding a post-Empire Universe difficult to live in.  Those are stories I'd love to explore. Not sad robot girl and her moody Romulan fake boyfriend.

The you have Jurati, who after killing Maddox last week is now deciding to have sex with Captain Solo..I mean Rios.  I had liked her character, she was one of the few characters this show had given us that didn't feel like some broken mess.  But now she is one too! Nothing in her development so far doesn't feel like tripe from any other drama.  The moment she walked into the room with Rios, I sighed and said to myself "oh god they are going to have sex or something aren't they?"  I am not against sex in Trek, it's part of the franchise's DNA. I would just like to not feel like they are just doing bog standard edgy teleplays.

Oh and Raffi, who is clearly hitting alcoholic rock bottom, helps Picard get clearance to be on the Borg cube, and he just applauds her as she stumbles away drinking straight from the whiskey bottle.  I'm sorry does no one want to help this poor woman clearly having a horrible time.  No one in this enlightened 24th Century is going to actually do something? Picard just claps, and even when that clap is ignored and she stumbled off with a bottle of booze our hero just claps absent mindedly before he smiles in triumph.  The only one who helps her is Rios.  And it's just standard, tuck her in, give her a cup of coffee when she wakes up stuff. The show is obsessed with everyone being broken.  I get it. But at least give me some unique presentation of broken that isn't this drivel.

Complaints aside, the best stuff came from Picard on the Borg cube with Hugh.  I dug that a lot. I wish the entire show was focused on things like this.

NEXT TIME: The Rikers

Comments