K'orin

Story: Envoys
Written By: Chris Kula
Series: Star Trek: Lower Decks
Year: 2020 

Boimler is assigned to take Klingon General K'orin to the surface of Tulgana IV, and Mariner (who supposedly worked some Grey Ops mission with K'orin in the past) horns in on his big assignment.  The Klingon then gets drunk and when they land on the planet he steals the shuttle and Boimler and Mariner must make their way through several districts on the planet to get the General back and drop him off where he is meant to be. The joke of this episode is that Mariner is a total space badass, who can handle almost any situation, and Boimler is usually hopeless because his book smarts aren't very helpful in these moments. 


Meanwhile on the ship, Rutherford's work in Jeffries Tubes is going to force him to cancel plans with Tendi...he clearly likes her because he attempts to entirely change careers and try out other roles on the ship just to keep his date with her.  He tries out command, medical, and security...but in the end, his heart is all about climbing through those tubes.  He returns to engineering and Tendi watches her space phenomena on a PADD next to Rutherford working.  This is the better story in the episode.  I'd much rather this be the tone of the show, than Mariner's wackiness being so front and center.

 It's a slightly better episode, in that it wasn't as over the top as the opener...but I am still not laughing enough for it to work as a comedy.  I genuinely fell asleep during my initial watch of the show. I mean I was somewhat tired, but not so much that I should have fallen asleep within 30 minutes. 

This show isn't that great.  I am giving it a whirl, but I am mostly finding it unfunny as a Trek parody (a few moments here and there not withstanding), and I am finding it too cartoonish to feel like it belongs within Trek canon. 

NEXT TIME:  Working Faster

Comments