Tiberius

Story: Still Treads the Shadow
Written By: Judy Burns
Series: Star Trek Continues
Year: 2017

 The "Star Trek Continues" crowd scored a bit of a coup, in getting original series writer Judy Burns ("The Tholian Web") to pen this episode for their wonderful fan series, and in doing so Burns writes a solid little sequel to her lone original series outing (her first credit, too).  It sort of follows up on what happened to the Defiant, lost in that original episode, which is finally rediscovered by the Enterprise...but on board they find a duplicate of James T. Kirk (and I believe this is a duplicated Defiant as well, so it doesn't contradict Enterprise's Mirror universe story), aged and befriended by the Defiant's computer, which has formed an AI...bent on getting the duplicated old Kirk home (and maybe enact revenge for being left behind for so long), even if it destroys a sector of space.
It's a good episode, as most of STC is, but I must say it feels like it has a few too many ideas and, while I know it is written by the original writer, I always find follow-ups and sequels to classic episodes always make a production smack a little more of fan-ness than anything else. Don't get me wrong, it is completely different from "The Tholian Web" and has a whole new fresh story, but the original show was never much for follow-ups, it was always about moving forward. It has an emotional core and a great duel performance from Mignogna, but something kept me from loving it.  Maybe it was my mood...I will probably rewatch and maybe reevaluate. 

NEXT TIME: The Hopes of Hyalinus