Showdown with the Gorn

Story: Momento Mori
Written By: Davy Perez & Beau DeMayo
Series: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
Year: 2022

The Enterprise are meant to be delivering something a to a Federation colony, but find it nearly wiped out by a major attack.  They begin to rescue survivors but are then attacked themselves, by the Gorn.  We don't actually see the Gorn in the episode, but La'an knows it is them because her trauma (everyone in modern Trek has to have a traumatic backstory) was that she was the survivor of a Gorn attack as a child.  The episode is then, of course, focused on La'an as a lead character. Personally, I find her dull and uninteresting, and I hate the fact they tied her into Khan for no real reason.  
As a connected B-story, Uhura is training with Hemmer in Engineering as part of her cadet training. Hemmer gets injured during the Gorn attack and she is forced to fix something with his guidance. It's...generic and fine I guess.  I don't care for this new version of Uhura.  I think I just hate all the children who are pretending to be crew on this show.  You remove Chapel, Uhura, and La'an, and make Ortegas less of a quippy radical teen...then I actually don't think I'd hate this cast. But I dislike the children, I dislike them very much.  

This episode is tolerable but I didn't really care throughout much of it.  The character focus for this episode was primarily on La'an and a little bit Uhura, and not being particularly interested in either, I wasn't very engaged with the story.  

NEXT TIME: Spock & T'Pring Body Swap

Comments