Trapped in the Turbolift

Story: Q&A
Written By: Michael Chabon
Series: Star Trek: Short Treks
Year: 2019

I was not that harsh on it when I initially reviewed it, but the Discovery Season 2 finale left something of a bad taste in my mouth.  If they had cut the last episode down to maybe 15 minutes and just made the preceding episode a tad longer...maybe I wouldn't have soured on it the more I thought about it.  The thing is, everything that is fine with the finale can be condenses a lot...and most of the episode's runtime is filled with awful cluttered nonsense battle stuff.  I was mildyl frustrated while watching it, but as I thought it over as time went on, I really hate how they started that season with such promise and tripped and fell so hard for the endgame. 
And it shows how much of a bad taste it left in that I have waited so long to even bother getting to the latest batch of Short Treks.  I just didn't feel like it for so long, even though the bulk of the Short Treks seem to be focusing in on the thing I liked most about Season 2, which is the Enterprise crew stuff.  But the time has come!  Time to finally watch them, and I've decided that with Picard only a few short weeks away, I was going to dive in deep and watch them all in one night, reviewing each one as I go.

The Short Treks second season (if you can even call them seasons) begins with "Q&A" a likable jaunt on the Enterprise as young Ensign Spock beams aboard the Enterprise for the first time, is greeted by Number One, and they immediately get trapped in the turbolift together.  Spock asks an endless supply of questions to Number One (per her request as he is meant to be a Science Officer, dammit!).  That's pretty much it.  It does offer some minor characterization for Number One, who feelings on Pike as a captain, and some minor info on this version of Spock (and his smiling which, NERDS, actually lines up okay with "The Cage.") 

This is fine. I didn't love it, but like the bulk of Season 2, I enjoy these versions of the original pilot's characters.  They were well cast. And the production team nailed that Enterprise bridge.  I am honestly rooting for them to maybe cancel Discovery and replace it with a new version of classic Trek starring the original pilot's intended characters.  Episodic exploration with Mount, Peck, and Romijn?  It would be worth it.  Espcially considering that Discovery has shown they suck at serializing TV so they might as well go back to episodic. Alas...

NEXT TIME: Let Get Fuzzy...

Comments