Welcome Back Mon Capitan

Story: Remembrance
Written By: Akiva Goldsman & James Duff
Series: Star Trek: Picard
Year: 2020

As time has moved on, I have grown to not enjoy the TNG Film series.  I still love the original show, but their film run leaves something to be desired.  When Generations and First Contact both came out, I really enjoyed them, particularly First Contact.  But while my love for the TOS films has grown as I get older, the Next Generation films have not had the same effect.  I see a ton of flaws and issues with Generations, but there is a tinge of nostalgia for me.  First Contact works as an action movie, but I do tend to see a few more issues, particularly the more "action man" portrayal of Picard, who was never that guy on TV.  Insurrection and Nemesis aren't very good, and I don't even pop them in very often, and find that they end the otherwise fantastic journey of the Next Generation on a down note.
So I was cautiously optimistic about the return of Picard on CBS All Access. On one hand I love the character and liked the idea of seeing him older and in a possibly new environment.  But on the other hand, those movies weren't great, and Discovery has this grittier action heavy style, and I didn't want to see Picard in more of that. The "Short Trek" that acted as a prelude only added to my concerns for the show...what if it's tone doesn't differ enough from Discovery to make it worthwhile? 

Based purely on this opener, my fears are somewhat assuaged. This episode does a solid job of setting up where the 24th Century is at the tail end of it's existence.  The supernova that destroyed Romulus (the same catalyst that created the Kelvin Timeline in the 2009 JJ Abrams film) is a key element of the backstory for how Picard ended up retiring to his vineyard. He lead the rescue armada meant to save Romulans fleeing their doomed planet...but there was a backfire to his plan to rescue as many Romulans as possible.  While he (an admiral at that point) had so many ships on that front, some rogue synthetic lifeforms attacked Mars and Utopia Planetia.  Many were killed.  This lead to the Federation banning synthetic lifeforms altogether. Starfleet also abandoned the Romulans they had promised to help as they withdrew from their plan.  Picard became disillusioned with the Federation and Starfleet due to these actions, and walked away from the life he was so fond of. 

That brings us to where he is now.  Living on his family's vineyard with a Romulan couple and his dog Number One, getting old and dreaming of a better time. His dreams featuring Data are both highlights of the episode.  I was concerned about Data in initial trailers, because the CG to make Spiner look de-aged was so dogshit.  Luckily the final product is actually really good.  He actually looks very good in the end, better than the Irishman ever did!  But I guess that is easy to do when you limit the screen time of that CG. 

So, then a girl  shows up and asks for Picard for his help. He can't be sure, but some clues from the mystery girl lead him to believe she could be, in some way, related to Data.  She is a seemingly normal girl, but something awakens in her that makes her an ultimate fighter and super fast with computers.  She is killed trying to fight off the Romulans who are attempting to get her...but Picard continues to unravel the mystery surrounding her, and finds out that if she is who he thinks she is (a possible daughter of some kind from Data, created by Bruce Maddox), then she would have to be made with a twin.  There is another out there...

And we get a glimpse of Dahj's sister, Soji Asher, who is currently working aboard a Romulan Reclamation Site and meets a Romulan named Narek.  And even more interesting...this Reclamation site is aboard a Borg Cube.  Fascinating stuff lies ahead!

I think what worked for me in this debut is how sure-handed it is.  It feels like there is a genuine plot, not just some half baked ideas that vaguely resemble the seeds of a serialized story (sorry Discovery), but a genuine tale to be told.  The world of the very late 24th Century is nicely realized.  As much as part of me longs for a hopeful version of the future to make it's return, at least there is a world being fully realized here.  I guess on that front I am conflicted...but the truth is, if it all ends up being too dire and not hopeful enough, I can just ignore and return to my lovely TNG blu-rays.  That world still exists as long as I wish it to. At any rate, this is a solid start.  I am hopeful the show stays on course and doesn't fall apart like Discovery has (twice).

NEXT TIME: Picard sets out on a new Adventure...

Comments