Delayed Mutations

Story: Identity Crisis
Written By: Brannon Braga
Series: Star Trek: The Next Generation
Year: 1991

I have fond memories of this one from my childhood, but as an adult I can’t tell you how dumb this story really is. Geordi gets some infection that slowly changes his DNA and turns him into a glow in the dark lizard man.
It is clear from several of his scripts that Brannon Braga has NO IDEA how DNA, Evolution, or our bodily functions actually work. This is more apparent in his genetic based work on Voyager, in which he really just goes off the deep end in poorly conceived DNA stories.

For some imagery of the lizard guys I have in my memory from childhood, this one is one of those I enjoy watching, but if you don’t have that aspect of it...you are only gonna see a dumb story with incorrect ideas about how genetics and DNA and evolution work.

NEXT TIME: Smart Barclay