The Adventures of Captain Proton

Story: Bride of Chaotica!
Written By: Bryan Fuller & Michael Taylor
Series: Star Trek: Voyager
Year: 1999

This is actually a rather fun episode, especially once the episode stops fucking around and just gets into the fun of the holoprogram. If it were me, I would have gotten the Photon aliens involved faster and made the resolution to play out the program happen all the sooner. They just took a little too long to actually get into the episode, and as a result you don’t get as much Flash Gordony fun.
Still what they did do was fun, and I think this is probably the closest a comedy episode of Voyager came to DS9. DS9 was the best of the three spin off series when it came to comic timing, TNG had its moments, but it never was as good at the jokes as TOS or DS9....Voyager ruined every comedy episode by introducing some kind of threat that was too big, disrupting any jokes, or turning the last act into a generic action plot. Luckily this one stays light, and it is all the better for it.

Again, I would’ve liked a little less milling about before they got into the program, and I actually would’ve liked it if the whole cast got into the game, and it didn’t just primarily focus on Janeway...but my complaints aside I enjoyed this one, since I am actually quite the fan of Flash Gordon in serial form.

NEXT TIME: Another Crashed Shuttle