Anslem

Story: The Visitor
Written By: Michael Taylor
Series: Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Year: 1995

A freak accident apparently kills Sisko, leaving Jake without a father. But Sisko appears to Jake several times throughout his life, as he ages…he is not dead, but stuck in that same moment after the accident. And somehow connected to Jake so he always appears near Jake. Jake eventually gives up his whole writing career just to get his father back.
It is often cited as one of the best DS9 episodes, and one of the best of the franchise. I like it, I think it is a really well executed episode, but I never like it as much as others seem to. The acting and story is really good, and I think the characters work really well…with a decent solution…but for some reason it never grabs me as well as “Explorers” did in terms of a great father-son tale. I think because “Explorers” actually deals with Ben and Jake together.

Still I like it, and I don’t mean to say it is by any means bad…I just think it isn’t as good as some have made it out to be.

NEXT TIME: Free from the Founders