Goofy Genetic Virus

Story: Extinction
Written By: André Bormanis
Series: Star Trek: Enterprise
Year: 2003

This is yet another in a long line of bad genetic virus episodes in Star Trek. Preceding it are things like “Genesis”, “Identity Crisis” and “Threshold”. These episodes are bound to be bad since the concept defies all logic. Genetics just don’t work this way, and the writers never tried to learn that lesson. Didn't they get enough of this kind of thing on "Threshold"? I mean almost all involved admitted how badly they screwed up there...why try it again?
I could go on and on about how goofy and ridiculous (not to mention pointless to this arc) this episode is, but I just don’t care too. I think I already ranted enough on “Genesis” and “Thereshold” and some of Braga’s other bad genetic/evolution plots (although this one wasn’t written by Braga, it seems like it is just a rewrite of his similar scripts).

I think it is important to note that the director of this episode was LaVar Burton...and Geordi himself (who turned glow in the dark in “Identity Crisis”) has admitted to being ashamed of this episode.

NEXT TIME: Enigmatic Passenger